The Hand Washing Day shall be celebrated tomorrow on October 27 to promote sanitation and hygiene across the country in an organised manner. The focus this year will be on teachers who have been oriented for this purpose to ensure that all children wash their hands with soap or with other cleaning material before they eat their mid-day meal on this day. The Department of Drinking Water Supply has suggested some activities for the programme to the State Governments and Union Territories which include among others :
1. Training and orienting teachers in programme/curriculum transactions of sanitation and hygiene issues in schools.
2. Washing hands before mid-day meal
3. Cleaning the school class room and compound
4. School children be encouraged to address and interact with communities to give up open defecation, encourage use of toilets and hand washing with soap at critical times.
5. Taking a pledge against open defecation and for washing of hands after defecation
6. Constituting and activating Bal Sansad/Child Cabinet in schools, which will disseminates and monitor cleanliness, sanitation and hygiene issues in schools.
7. Taking out procession in villages/mohallas to generate awareness on sanitation and hygiene issues and to encourage toilet use and hand washing.
In the National Capital main function has been organised in collaboration with the Deptt. of Drinking Water Supply, Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan, Mid-Day Meal Programme, GNeT Delhi and UNICEF to spread the message at Sarvodaya Kanya Vidyalaya, Samalkha. The several other activities including such as skits, pledges on hand washing by school children and teachers, mid-day meals have been organised on this occasion. Minister for State for Rural Development, Ms. Agatha Sangma will be the Chief Guest.
(Release ID :53584)